Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Nigeria. NLC asks Cross River to account for N31b bailout fund

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has asked the Cross River State Governor, Ben Ayade, to account for the N31.1 billion bailout fund the state received from the Federal Government.

The Organised Labour in the state had on Monday resumed a total strike it suspended on May 30 demanding the payment of arrears of gratuity, release of promotion letters and many others, saying the Paris fund refund and the bailout funds were meant for payment of salaries, pensions and gratuities and should be used for what they were meant for.

The NLC leaders said government reneged on the said agreement and so declared indefinite strike over issues of promotion of workers and payment of gratuities to retirees. On resumption of the strike on Monday, the gates of all government offices were locked with big chains and padlocks and all workers ordered to remain at home.

Meanwhile, the Chief Press Secretary and Special Assistant Media to Governor, Mr. Christian Ita, decried Labour’s decision to embark on strike, saying: “The point is that the labour people even have no business of going on strike as government has met all their demands. They asked for promotion and the governor has agreed that they should be given and it was given.

“They turned around and complained about the way the letters were structured and the language used and we changed it. They again turned around and complained about the content and the government now said okay, no problem, let us change it but they went on strike.

Full Content: The Guardian

Remember to subscribe to our free weekly newsletter for more news or subscribe to our service to get unlimited access.